Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I am primarily of Danish and English decent, but this does not fully describe my racial identity. I have a greater understanding and a greater connection with my Daish ancestry. My family still includes some Danish cultural practices in our family culture. I really don't have a big connection to my English ancestry.

I also have some German ancestry. I served a German LDS mission and teach German for a living, so I am much more connected with this part of my ancestry than any other--even though it is a smaller percentage of my ancestry.

More than any of these examples, however, I am a member of my family, and we have develped our own cultural practices and behaviors. My ideolect and my personal culture must be understood first in terms of my family then my profession and then my ancestry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.